• Girl Computer DIY
    Forget to File By The Deadline?

    Don’t worry, file anytime.

    There’s no expiration on the best deal in tax prep! We stick around so you can get the most out of free tax preparation, all year long.

    • Get help with tax amendments and extensions
    • File your tax return 100% free any day of the year
    • Stay informed on tax issues that affect you
    Start Now
    Refer A Friend

    Get $5 when you refer a friend who files with us.

    GET $5
  • Our Vision is to change the way you prepare your tax return. We offer free tax preparation because you should keep more of your hard-earned money. DIY Tax is simple: Answer questions about your life and we’ll handle all of the calculations. No more confusing tax forms, figures, or rules!


    You will not be forced to upgrade no matter what your tax situation may be. No hidden fees. No tricks. We're simply free. We believe you've worked hard for your money, you shouldn't have to pay to get that back. You can and should enjoy fast, free, uncluttered tax preparation through an up-to-date system, you deserve it!


    Charges don't exist here at DIY Tax. Everything is complimentary. You won't be charged for anything when you use DIY Tax to file your taxes online. In fact, we don't even have prices in our system.


    DIY Tax is free to try, free to prepare, free to print, and free to e-file both your federal and state income tax return through our DIY Tax software. Just to clarify - it doesn't cost a thing. There are no downsides and no drawbacks. See? Free does exist! Online support available: 
    Tax Filing Deadline Extended Support Hours:
    Thursday, April 14: 8am-2am
    Friday, April 15: 8am-2am
    Saturday, April 16: 8am-2am
    Sunday, April 17: 8am-2am
    Monday, April 18: 8am-3am
    Tuesday, April 19: 8am-12am
    Wednesday, April 20: 8am-12am
    Thursday, April 21: 8am-12am
    Friday, April 22: 8am-12am
    Saturday, April 23: Closed
    Sunday, April 24: Closed
    Starting Monday, April 25, Online Support will be available Monday - Friday 9am-5pm EST

Earn $5 in Three Easy Steps
We've upped the ante on "Simply Free" because we're willing to pay you for sending your friends to DIY Tax. Join the world's most rewarding referral program where it's easy to earn free money!
What is an extension?
If you are unable to complete your tax forms and file your taxes by April 18, 2016, filing an extension may be the right solution for you. Filing an extension will move the deadline six months so that you can file your taxes on or before October 15, 2016. For additional inquiries, please send an e-mail to diysupport@libtax.com
What is an extension Form 4868?
This is the IRS designation for the form used to request an extension. The full name of the form is Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time To File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return. Our system uses a user-friendly question-and-answer interview to fill out this form and send it electronically. For additional inquiries, please send an e-mail to support@freetax.com
If I file an extension, when do I pay the taxes that I owe?
An extension only moves the deadline for your federal tax forms to be filed, not your federal income tax payment due date. Filing an extension does not affect the deadline for your state tax return. You must still pay any tax liability owed by April 15, 2015, or be subject to interest and penalties. For additional inquiries, please send an e-mail to support@freetax.com
Do I have to give a reason for requesting an extension?
You do not have to explain why you are asking for the extension. The IRS will only contact you if your request is denied. For additional inquiries, please send an e-mail to support@freetax.com
How do I file for an Affordable Care Act exemption?
How much does DIY Tax cost?

DIY Tax is absolutely free. Prepare, e-file, and print your federal and state return for free.

Why is DIY Tax free? What is the catch?

There is no catch. We at DIY Tax know you've worked hard for your money. We want you to keep more of it. That's why we're giving you completely and simply free online tax preparation. DIY Tax is unique, sleek, and new. For the price of free, we want to give you everything we've got because you've given all you had all year long.

What do I need to e-file my return on DIY Tax?
  1. A computer, internet access and a browser that supports 128-bit SSL encryption.
  2. All of your tax statements including your W-2, 1099-INT, 1099-G, etc.
  3. If you want to print your return, you will need a printer. DIY Tax also allows you to save a digital copy of your return on your computer and print it later.
  4. A positive, DIYer attitude.
Will my computer and Internet work with DIY Tax?

As long as your computer has a stable Internet connection and you use a browser that supports a 128-bit SSL encryption (for secure connections), you can use DIY Tax.

DIY Tax is compatible with the following browsers:

  • Internet Explorer 11, 10, 9
  • Firefox 18 and up
  • Google Chrome 24.0.1312.57 and up
  • Safari 5 and up
  • Opera

Please remember to allow cookies and enable JavaScript.

For optimal viewing capability, we recommend setting your display resolution to 1366 x768 (if available) or 1024 x 768 and maximizing your browser window.

Is my information secure and private?

Please view our Privacy Policy here.

IRS regulations require that e-file service providers use tax return information exclusively for preparing and completing e-filed returns.

DIY Tax neither discloses nor shares your information with any third parties or outside organizations.

DIY Tax implements 128-bit encryption [We're talking, tight-bank security level encryption] and firewall protection to secure all tax information and communications. We enforce strict company policies that protect your information at all levels. 

Will I receive junk mail if I give you my e-mail address?

DIY Tax neither sells nor shares your e-mail address with any third party or other organization. We use your e-mail address to maintain your account information. We also use your e-mail address to contact you about e-file services and keep you updated about the status of your return. We may also use your e-mail address to inform you of filing deadlines, tax law changes, tax planning opportunities and other items or services that may affect your tax planning or financial position. It is very important that you are able to receive e-mails from us because we may need to notify you of any concerns with your return(s).

Will creating my return in DIY Tax prevent me from carrying my information forward next year?

When you return to DIY Tax next year, your information DIY Tax will be available and carried forward into your return.

What happens once I complete and submit my return for e-file?

Once you have submitted your return, you can check the e-file status in your account to confirm that we have received your submission. You will also receive a submission confirmation e-mail from us. We will then process and send your return to the IRS and/or your state tax agency within 24 hours.

Keep an eye out for e-mails concerning the status of your return from us. When we receive the result of your e-file from the IRS/State, we will notify you by e-mail.

If you must resubmit your return, we will send you an updated notification status from the IRS/your State Tax Agency.

I forgot my e-mail address I used for my account. What do I do?
  1. Click on the "I cannot access my account" link on the Sign In page.
  2. Choose "I forgot my e-mail address" and choose NEXT.
  3. Follow the instructions to recover your account credentials.
I forgot my password. How do I reset my password?
  1. Click on the "I cannot access my account" link on the Sign In page.
  2. Choose "I forgot my password" and choose NEXT.
  3. Follow the instructions to recover your account credentials.
I'm unable to request my password. It says my security answer is wrong, but I am confident that the answer is right.
Please contact our Customer Support Team for assistance with your account by sending an e-mail to support@diytax.com
How do I update my e-mail address?
  1. Sign In to your DIY Tax account and click on My Profile
  2. Click Edit
  3. Enter your new e-mail address.
  4. Click Save
I no longer have access to the e-mail address on file or my alternate e-mail address. How can I recover my login credentials?
  1. On the Sign In screen, select the I cannot access my account link.
  2. Click I can't access my e-mail address
  3. Enter your information and select Continue
  4. Correctly answer your security questions.
  5. Then, you will be able to reset your e-mail address.
How do I use a Self-Select PIN?

Your Self-Select PIN is one option for you to use when signing your electronic tax return. The PIN is any five numbers (except all zeros) that you choose to set as your PIN. You must also enter your date of birth and prior year's adjusted gross income (AGI) from your return.

Can I Use my Self-Select PIN next year?

Yes. If you choose to electronically file next year, you can use your Self-Select PIN to sign your return. You can use the same pin or choose any 5 digits for next year's return.

How can I get my prior year's original adjusted gross income (AGI) if I don't have last year's tax return?

The IRS can supply this information for you. Simply click on "Get PIN" on the page where your prior year AGI or PIN is requested. You will be taken to the IRS's website where you will receive an Electronic Filing PIN (EFP) that you can use in place of your prior year AGI or PIN.

If I have never filed a tax return or did not need to file a tax return last year, what amount do I enter for the prior year's original AGI?

You must enter zero (0) for the AGI. Do not leave this field blank.

If my filing status this year is different from the year before, what AGI do I use?
If the change is "to" Married Filing Jointly, then you and your spouse must each enter the AGI amount from your respective prior year's tax returns. If the change is "from" Married Filing Jointly, then you both must use the same original total AGI amount from your prior year's joint return.
If I had an ITIN (IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number) when I filed my tax return last year, but now I have an SSN this filing season, what prior year AGI amount do I use?

Enter zero ("0") for your prior year's original AGI.

What AGI amount should be used if I filed jointly with a different spouse last year?

Use the AGI amount from the joint return filed with the ex-spouse.

Do both taxpayers need a PIN if they are filing a joint return?

Yes, each taxpayer must sign using a PIN. The taxpayers will choose any five digits, except all zeros, as their electronic signatures.

What AGI amount should be used when only one of the joint return's taxpayers earned all the wages?

Both taxpayers on the joint return will use the total AGI amount from the originally filed return. The AGI amount should not be divided between the primary earner and the other spouse.

Can I electronically file a joint return if my spouse is unable to sign because he/she is serving in a combat zone or qualified hazardous duty area, and if I do not have a power of attorney or other statement?

Yes, a joint return can be electronically filed without the spouse's electronic PIN signature in this case.

If I filed an amended tax return last year, what AGI amount should I use?

You must use the original AGI amount from the originally filed return. This year's return will be rejected if the amended AGI amount is used. Do not use amounts from an amended return, a corrected amount from a math error notice, or a changed amount from the IRS.

If I filed last year's tax return after April 15, what AGI amount should I use?

If your prior year's tax return was not received and processed by the IRS by December 15, you must enter zero ("0") for the AGI amount. If the return is rejected due to a mismatch of the AGI, resubmit the return using the actual values.

If my prior year's AGI is negative, what should I use?

If your prior year AGI is negative you need to enter the AGI as a negative amount.

What happens if two taxpayers select and use the same PIN to sign their return?

It is acceptable for two taxpayers to choose the same five-digit PIN. Additional personal information (SSN, date of birth and original AGI or PIN from your prior year's tax return) that you provide to the IRS is used to further verify your identity.

Do states require a signature for e-file?

State requirements are different. Some states use a pre-assigned PIN like the Customer Service Number (CSN) for California while some require a signed paper form. When you use DIY Tax, we will guide you through state requirements based on where you live or are filing. You need to follow the instructions carefully to ensure compliance.

How can I file an amendment?

Please visit your local Liberty Tax Service office for assistance. To find a local office, please visit http://www.libertytax.com/Location_Search.aspx. You may also visit the following links at the IRS website to print and prepare Form 1040X:

Instructions: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040x.pdf

Form: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040x.pdf

How do I know if my return has been accepted?

Please sign in to your account to view the status of your return.

Why does DIY Tax ask if I want to visit an office?

When you have questions about your tax situation, there's no better place to turn than our powerful network of real tax preparers. Our tax preparers are experienced and knowledgeable professionals that can address your tax concerns and help you maximize your situation. The best part about our network is that our tax preparers may be near your home or work. You can get answers for your tax questions, tax advice, and even personalized tax preparation directly from a local preparer.

I entered my information to set up an appointment with an office. Now what?

You will receive an e-mail confirming that your request for an appointment has been received by the office near you. A representative from your local Liberty Tax Service office will contact you shortly to confirm the details of your appointment. In the meantime, be sure to gather all the documents that you need to bring to the office with you. This includes any W-2's, income statements, and any bank or government tax documents. Don't forget to bring your confirmation e-mail from DIY Tax, your social security card(s) and identification card(s) for yourself and everyone in your family.

I made an appointment, but I need to cancel it. What do I do?

Please call the office that you selected online to reschedule your appointment. You can find the contact information for your selected office at the top of your confirmation e-mail from DIY Tax.

How do I file an extension?
Please visit your local Liberty Tax Service office to file a Form 4868 before April 15. Successful filing and acceptance of the extension form will extend the deadline to file your paperwork to October 15, 2014. Please note, you must still pay any estimated taxes due by April 15 to avoid late fees and penalties.
Is this site safe? Does the Heartbleed vulnerability that powers most of the Internet affect my information?

DIY Tax does not use the technology that has the Heartbleed security vulnerability in its tax application or on this website. Your information has been and continues to remain secure.

Frequently Asked Questions, Answered!


Why is DIY Tax free? What is the catch?

There is no catch. We at DIY Tax know you've worked hard for your money. We want you to keep more of it. That's why we're giving you completely and simply free online tax preparation. DIY Tax is unique, sleek, and new. For the price of free, we want to give you everything we've got because you've given all you had all year long.